Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Organizational Development- Data collection methods

One of the data collection (gathering) methods I am most familiar with, are electronic surveys/questionnaires  (Anderson, 2013). This is a great icebreaker to start the discussion about daily work flows to what a team should order for lunch during a team building exercise. Also, with electronic surveys can be coupled with other data gathering methods fairly easy without that much setup. For example, if you require members of a focus group to complete a survey about what was discussed or how effective the meeting was before they leave the group not only have you increased the response rate but also increase the amount of data you gathered (Anderson, 2013).

Whenever I saw electronic surveys used as icebreakers to other topics or used with other data gathering methods in the workplace I have noticed that participation from employees increases the next time a survey is given. I have even created two electronic surveys via survey monkey for a Final project in my Human Performance Improvement class, although the electronic surveys were not used, I found that it was simple to create and not as time-consuming as if I was required to do the other data collecting methods. However, I feel that if I could correlate those two electronic surveys with another data collection methods I would have had more success with my response rate and commitment for those reviewing my work.

My question is when using electronic surveys as a primary data collection method what other method would you use as an additional method to increase the response rate (commitment) or would you just follow up with another survey? Also, how would you ensure the probability of following up with the survey takers if you coupled it with another data collection method?

Reference
Anderson, D. L. (2013). Organization development: The process of leading organizational change. Sage Publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment